Monday, June 8, 2015

Blog: An Origin Story

The Setup



Life; that swirling time sieve of energy and junk-food is revving up for me. I'm half way through my 25th year on this earth, and at the tail end of my quarter life crisis.  I just published a book (hopefully not my last), and I'll be graduating with an MFA in Creative Writing and Publishing Arts in July.




Now is when it gets scary. I'm leaving academia. Life isn't structured anymore. I'll be forced to self motivate! It's horrifying.

The thing I turn to during these dark, dark times? The place where I can shut my brain off, and forget about the multitudes lack of jobs I can find with my degree? The wonderful warm pit I crawl into to escape the customers screaming for lemon bar frappucinos and cotton candy lattes? (Why yes, I am a walking cliche', thank you so much for asking).



I'll give you a hint. It's not drugs, and it primarily involves popcorn (it's also in the title of this blog, but if you looked you're a cheater, and you should probably just leave now).





Movies? Really? Come on!



Of course! It's that simple. I love movies. I'm a cinephile. A devout worshipper of the gods of film. 
Being immersed in the world of a film allows me to hard reset my brain. It allows me to slow down. It helps me to deal with all the people of the world, most of whom I harbor a deep loathing for. 



At least I learned how to do something with my degree.(I'm referring to the crappy Photoshop job, not my hatred, I was already well learned in that before I started college)







Thus a blog was born!






I'm sure some other random ephemera will leak its way into this blog as well, but it's my hope that I'll be able to use this space to reconcile my literary and cinematic sides,who don't always get along so nicely. 









No comments:

Post a Comment